So I am making baby food for Elijah now. I am new at this since Ev refused to eat homemade baby food when we first arrived here. So after she protested by refusing all solids for a while we decided to go with baby food from the grocery store. Ev was 8 months old when we got here and was well established with eating baby food. But we did uproot her and so she could have been having "culture shock" and expressing it through what she was eating. Needless to say once we gave her store bought baby food she returned to eating solids.
When we got pregnant with Elijah I had planned on making his baby food. Boy am I glad I stuck with my plan! Last year with Ev her diapers and baby food were taking up most of our costs. With 2 kids in diapers (hopefully not too much longer) we feel that so much money goes to baby items.
One can of baby food (2 oz.) cost 5.9 kuai. That is almost a dollar a can. I bought a large bundle of fresh green beans for 4.6 kuai and got what would equal 14 (2 oz.) jars. That is crazy... 14 for a little less than the price of 1!!!! I made some sweet potatoes too. 2 sweet potatoes were about 2 kuai (about 30 cents) and I got about 14 (2 oz.) jars worth also. All together my 28 (2 oz.) portions cost me about 1 dollar!
1 comment:
I agree; why in the world would anyone buy food when it is so much cheaper to make it? (of course if baby is protesting like Ev, of course!) I felt good about making it too. Although I think I made a lot less for Lizzy since she really just wanted to eat what the rest of us were eating. I mastered the ultra-fine chop of food! :-)
Post a Comment