Sunday, November 2, 2008

A LONG 10 Hours

Today Todd left on another trip. We had our Sunday time at our friend's house and then I brought the kids home and we are without dad until some time Thursday. Thankfully this couple who live 2 buildings down from us decided to stay for lunch and walked home with me. I am SO grateful they did. Not only did I have 2 other people to cross the street with (I hate crossing the street here) I also had extra hands to help me get our stroller up a few stairs and into our building. As they were walking to their apartment they heard me say "oh no!" and came back for me to tell them that we didn't have power. They helped me get up to the 6th floor by one carrying Ev and the other carrying our stroller as I carried Elijah and our bags. We had done a potluck lunch so I was carrying more bags than normal. I really don't want to think about what I would have done if I didn't have them there to help me. I would have had to leave the stroller and belongings on the first floor and would have had to carry 2 kids up 6 flights of stairs.... in high elevation no less. Then I would have had to leave the kids in the apartment, run down the stairs and carry the stroller and other things back up. So glad I didn't have to do that. The fun didn't stop there though. Once at home I made some assessments about how long I thought the power had been off. Since we don't have good medicine here we have to bring in our immunizations from other countries. The trick with immunizations is that they have to be at a perfect temperature. Not too hot not too cold. Since we didn't know when power would come back on I called my friend whose house we just left to ask if she would mind housing my immunizations and a few food items. Since my kids were napping one of my friends came back to get my items and take them back over to our friends house. Then for the next 10 hours we were without electricity. Thankfully I had water and gas so I could boil water and flush the toilet. But going without power is hard. Especially since my cell phone only had 1 bar left before it died. I had enough time to quickly text my 2 friends and Todd to let them know. Todd had been watching sports before we left this morning so he left the computer on and well our battery isn't lasting long if the computer isn't plugged in so since the power had gone off so did our computer and by itself it had no power. So there I was - without a husband, without electricity, without the computer (Internet) or a cell phone. I realized I had no way to communicate with anyone. It was a scary feeling. I spent my afternoon and evening watching the fridge and trying to decide if I was going to pack us up and go to my friends house to spend the night. As I was packing for the 3 of us I realized that I wasn't going to be able to get my pump, small bag, and both kids down the stairs by myself. I had no way to call anyone to help me so I decided to keep us all here and just wait it out. Thankfully at 10pm the power turned on. I plugged in my cell phone and let Todd know. What a way to start out a week alone with the kids. I'm completely exhausted already!

No comments: