This week has been out of the ordinary for us. I've been spending encountering people and situations that are really difficult.
I met a teen age girl who lives a few buildings away from ours and she takes care of her brother who is in a wheel chair. The afternoon I met her I really needed to get out and practice language and I needed someone who would really try to listen and understand me. When I walked up to the playground where this girl and her brother were she managed to say hello in English and looked as if she wanted me to talk to her. Todd had met her a few days before and he had gotten on her for defaulting to C over her native tongue. I can't speak that so we managed a rough conversation in C and she would throw in other words here and there. I really think this girl is sweet and she spends most of her day caring for her brother who doesn't really have control over his limbs. He is a few years younger than her which puts him around 13 or so and she is 17 years old. I was invited to her house and met some other family. I am just hoping to be able to get out and look for her this week especially since I want to tell her more of what I began telling her. I want to tell her the meaning behind Resurrection day. I really need to brush up on my language in those areas. I am thankful for this friendship because as we have been on the journey of adopting a special needs child from here I have really been finding out how the culture handles or deals with children who have special needs. I'll share some of those thoughts later. :)
Then a few days ago my friend L started going into preterm labor. She has been in the hospital for 3 nights so far and we are hoping she can go home by Friday. Because her body started going into labor and she is 33 weeks it is very serious so her and her husband have been through a lot in the past few days. Our city is the second poorest province capital in the country. So if only you could understand the conditions of the hospital. She has been a trooper. Yesterday I was with her when the doctor told her that she couldn't leave our city to have her baby in another country. She had planned on leaving to go to a better medical facility. This is her first pregnancy and she has peace about having a baby here. The doctor hopes she can keep the baby inside for as long as they can but there is the possibility of her having baby in a day or two or maybe a week or longer.
I guess in encouraging L and lifting her up and in doing whatever we can for her to be as comfortable as she can be in our hospital it is really good to see what Father has done for them. You could really look at this situation and just feel defeated but there are so many little things that we can see that we know He has been sovereign and in control of.
Yesterday L had spent the night in a room with 8 beds. Every bed had the patient and then at least 2 family members or other people. So the room was very full and everyone loves the pregnant foreigner. One lady was 38 weeks pregnant and lost the baby. I can only imagine the pain she was/is feeling. I remember back to when I was at this hospital having my last prenatal check up. She was writing a letter so I could get on an airplane and fly to Thailand to deliver Elijah. I was 35 weeks pregnant and she said, "ah you made it to 35 weeks... not everyone makes it." I know that the high elevation of our city puts all pregnancies at risk and I am realizing that more and more. This year several foreigners have had miscarriages later than normal. One weekend I think I heard of 3 or 4 who lost their babies during the 2nd trimester. Then later I heard of a lady who lost her baby and was 4-5 months pregnant. I am so thankful that I made it to full term with Elijah.
Yesterday I heard from a dear friend in America who had a miscarriage. My heart goes out to her and her husband. They have had a long hard road of getting pregnant and once they finally did they lost their baby after a few weeks. Devastating.
As we are a few days away from Good Friday and Resurrection day my heart is heavy for so many people who are hurting. If only everyone knew about the one who came to this earth and suffered so much for us so we could know Him.
--I am thankful that the Son came to earth and was willing to go through the suffering He did so that I could have the ability to become one of His children.
--I am thankful that I have two healthy children and that Todd and I have our health too.
--I am thankful that there is another little person out there who one day will be a part of our family.
--I am thankful for all the little blessings and provisions I have seen through other's lives this week.
--I am thankful that our Father knows every person's heart... ONLY He can comfort all the hurts.
No comments:
Post a Comment