Actually the word Easter comes from Eastre a goddess of fertility. I never realized this and prefer using Resurrection day instead. I like how in the language I am studying the holiday is called "Fu huo jie" (Resurrection) day.
One thing I like are the Egg trees I've seen on websites. So I created my own. On my way home from class last week I walked by this row of bushes and looked both ways before I tore off a few branches to use as my Resurrection Tree. I noticed that where I tore the branch off there was bright green inside so with my husband and helper looking at me like I am crazy I placed the 2 branches in a vase and added water. A few days later the buds started opening up. This was even better than I had planned. What looked like 2 dead branches came to life.
I decided to cut out small pictures of various things relating to the last week of Jesus' life. I hung them on the branches with some ribbon and had Ev color them. Next year hopefully she will understand the meaning behind the more. This year when I told her the story she wasn't too interested.
I'm also planning on making "resurrection rolls" for Sunday morning. If all goes as planned there will be a hole in the middle of the rolls. As if it was the empty tomb. How are you celebrating the holiday?
2 comments:
I LOVE THIS! how great is HE that your "dead twigs" sprouted. i mean it could be a chapter out or ezekiel or something. and i didn't know that about the word "easter" - thanks for filling us in.
we are headed (hopefully - ani is sick with an ear infection.) to AR to be with my sister and her family. we're planning our own "sunrise" service out at their camp.
about the eggs - we've started saying "we're putting all our eggs in this basket - HE IS RISEN!"
HE IS RISEN INDEED.
what is your recipe for the Ressurection Rolls?? I want to make those for Clara. Love you and miss you!
Post a Comment