Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dress up, Reading, Helping Mom Cook, More Doll Clothes...

I got some fun picture of the kids this week. Todd was playing his guitar and Ev decided to make his case a seat for her and her baby. Then I got another one later in the week of Ev, Elijah and Todd reading. Ev is very into putting her arm around Elijah but he isn't that into it. I made a bathing suit for Ev's doll out of an old bathing suit. Ev calls bathing suits "baby suits"... it is just too cute. Then I got a few pictures of the kids sitting up on our window ledge in the kitchen while I was making dinner tonight. Elijah didn't last long but I love seeing them sit there together. Last year at this time I have one of Ev in the same place. I need to find that and compare. Oh and the BIG news is that Ev used the potty for the first time tonight!!! YEAH.

I don't know if I am speaking too soon or not. But a few months before Elijah was born she started showing signs of readiness. (For your information that was OVER A YEAR AGO! Next month Elijah will turn 1.) Then we went to Thailand and had Elijah and were living in a new place and well when we returned she wasn't interested. We had bought her a little potty and have had it in the bathroom for a long time. She use to sit on it (fully clothed) but she knew what to do. Then lately she went so far from wanting to do anything remotely close to going to the potty so we let it go. Her friends use the potty and I try to encourage her when she knows her friends do it. But that only made it worse. Then tonight after reading to her before bed she was trying to stretch out the time with mommy and my only hope of getting out of her room without her crying was to tell her that I had to use the bathroom. She insisted on coming too saying she had to potty. So I told her that she was going to have to take her diaper off and sit on the potty. (Something she doesn't like to do) and so I took her diaper off and sat her on the little potty. I waited a little bit and she waited too (usually she will only sit there for a few seconds) - I think she was just trying to prolong the time from going to bed and then all of a sudden I heard her go. She saw my reaction and I made such a huge deal that daddy came to the door. So she wasn't trying to do it but I think her attempts to prolong bedtime may have come in handy for our potty training benefit.
We'll see tomorrow how things go. Cross your fingers! The hard thing about potty training is that I am not around during a large portion of the morning. So I am going to TRY to communicate to our helper how to help Ev sit on the potty throughout the morning to help her go. I really don't know if I am going to convey what I want but you never know. We have a very stubborn child. However she will do things for our helper that she won't do for us. Maybe she will do it for her.

okay well i will try again tomorrow to post pictures. i've tried twice and i guess it is our internet because it wouldn't go through.

No comments: