Tuesday, December 16, 2008

'Tis the Season to Get Pick Pocketed

So last week on the way to class Todd took this little bus that was way over crowded. (Think bodies on bodies where you can't move yourself it is so crowded. People are standing up in the middle of the bus, they are hovering over the people in seats ,people are slammed up against the door it is so full. ) So Todd was on this overcrowded bus and had his school bag with him. Then he realized what was happening. The guy less than a couple of inches from his face is reaching his hand into Todd's pocket of his bag. Todd then proceeds to go off on the guy in English really loudly. Everyone on the bus figures out what is going on... the guy loses face and gets off of the bus on the next stop.

I am suppose to take this bus a few days later but decided to opt out and take a taxi. I get more brave and take the bus and it is overcrowded yet again so I hold my bag as close as I can to my body.

Then comes Saturday. Ev and I make Christmas cookies in the morning and then I go out to quickly run some errands to get back in time for Todd to leave and go play baseball at 1:15pm. I walk as quickly as I can to the grocery store. I had in my mind everything I wanted and exactly where they were located. My first stop was on the first floor... bought a couple of things and headed for the escalator to go to the next floor. I was walking towards to escalator while putting my wallet back in my bag. The people here don't have any sense of personal space nor common courtesy... they will walk right in front of you and cut you off to get on the escalator. So some people did that to me and I just let them... not what I wanted to get upset about today. But then as I was on the escalator this teenage guy rudely shoves his way around me and cuts me off on my step. Weird I thought... I then rearranged my bag so that the attendant that was standing at the entrance of the 2nd floor wouldn't make me check what I had just purchased. I then looked at 2 items before deciding on an iron. I then realized I didn't have my wallet. My heart sunk and I quickly retraced my steps, went to the people I had bought stuff from on the first floor and then called Todd. Todd ended up packing up the kids and coming to where I was to talk to the manager.... but after about an hour I knew that my wallet was long gone. I lost my bus pass, my keys and 500 kuai. (A little under $100.) The whole incident set me back a bit... Todd ended up not being able to go play baseball and I still am frustrated that this happened. We think the kid on the escalator stole my wallet. Today Todd told me he witnessed a robbery... if only he knew what was going on before he did or he would have tackled the guy who was stealing.

1 comment:

Cindy Foote said...

Kelli, I am so sorry this happened to you. But don't grieve that money. After all - what's 500 kaui to Jesus. He owns everything. He knew that money would get stolen. It's His money anyway. You had no way to know that would happen and it's not your fault. I know this kind of thing can really get under the skin. It's spiritual warfare for sure. Remember what you are there for and how much the enemy hates it. Get mad and then get settled back into the presence of Jesus. He is there with you. You can fight back. Remember your gifting - prayer warrior - and remember that loneliness and frustration can bring about the richest prayer. Love you! Cindy