Saturday, December 20, 2008

Nativity Scenes

So if you read my post from the last day in November you remember that we have been telling Ev the story of Jesus' birth gradually every day as we celebrate Advent. It is a very basic story and it has been a slow process gradually telling it over the month but she is getting it. As we pull out visual aids from my Advent calendar they either go up on the top of the calendar or in our manger scene. I wanted her to be able to play with them so I laminated the pieces and today Ev spent a good part of the morning playing with all the characters. I thought it was funny when she lined them up in the doorway. Todd had gone out to get some juice and as he was opening the door I was yelling so he wouldn't step and crush all of the little people. Then today in a care package friends of ours sent us a few great books on Jesus' birth and a nativity scene that is kid friendly. These items really go along well with everything. Ev played with the nativity characters all evening. After carrying them around in her play pot and in an spice container turned into jewelry holder I got her to put them in the manger. This is how she put them. I love how the Joseph is in front of the sheep and how baby Jesus is on the outside corner. When we first pulled the set out of the care package we asked her who each character was... in her sweet voice she said "baby Moses" instead of baby Jesus. She has a book about baby Moses and well yes the straw surrounding Jesus kind of looks like the basket Moses was in.

No comments: