Remembering...

This Friday is Evangelia's 2nd birthday. I can't believe she is almost 2! I've been sick this week so I haven't been able to do very much for her party but I have been thinking back to the days leading up to her birth. I remember the week she was born it had just gotten cool in San Antonio. I had spent almost my entire pregnancy in extreme heat. :) I had taken my maternity leave early because at 37 weeks my doctor told me that I could go into labor any time. Dr. Kauffman had thought Ev was going to be a big baby so I planned accordingly. Ev ended up being induced on her due date so I got 2 weeks to hang out and enjoy time alone with Todd instead of teaching. That was a blessing of the Lord. I had one of my hardest groups of first graders that year. My school had given me several students with discipline problems - what a perfect thing for a 3rd trimester pregnant teacher! My students didn't know that I had planned on coming back the first week in December to finish out the end of the semester and then resign. I had told my principal but hardly anyone at my school knew what I was doing. We were moving to Tulsa before Christmas so Todd was unemployed ..or as he put it "retired". The two of us went to so many movies. We would go to the Quarry and walk around the shops and go to a movie and eat. It was wonderful! The weekend before Ev was to be induced Todd's parents came into town. I remember that Saturday I started going into labor. I wasn't sure if I really was in labor or not so I waited it out and called the on call nurse and she told me to come in but I really didn't want to show up at the hospital and then get sent home so I waited it out until midnight when my contractions started slowing down and disappeared. Now that I look back at it and after having another child I was in fact in labor. We hung out with Todd's parents that weekend . Todd's mom and I went to this really great kids resale shop and bought Ev some fun things. I remember the other moms there were commenting on my belly and asking me when I was due. It was fun to say "tomorrow" and shock them. We went to the Olive Garden (one of my favorite places) to have my last meal before going to the hospital on Monday night. Then on Tuesday October 24th at 5am Todd and I arrived at St. Luke's Baptist Hospital. It was very quiet and still dark outside. I was nervous but very ready to not be pregnant anymore. As we entered the labor and delivery ward I remember I was the first one there that day. All of the nurses were standing around the nurse station just waiting for something to do. We got settled in and I got all hooked up by 6. By 1:40pm our little (big) girl was in our lives. I remember that day as if it was yesterday.
No comments:
Post a Comment