Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My First Birthday Cake From Scratch!


So I tested out a few things today. I have never made a cake from scratch so I made one today ( a few days ahead) in case something didn't work out and I would have to have a plan b. I decided that as a family we would celebrate Evangelia's birthday on her real birthday and I would make a special family cake. No pressure since I knew I didn't have to have it perfect for her party. Then we would have cupcakes for Saturday for a couple of reasons. One is that it is so much easier for little kids to eat and second I have cup cake holders and Care Bear rings to put on top of them so I don't have to decorate cupcakes like I did last year. So my cake turned out good. Sometimes cooking in high altitude will overcook things, under cook things or they end up non edible. I made a few cupcake and a small round cake with my recipe I found. It wasn't too hard either. Then I decided to take a piece of tracing paper and make a circle the size of my cake and then draw what I was going to do first. Just like my art classes... always draw a sample first. I am glad that I did. I drew a Care Bear from one of Ev's coloring books then I went to the computer and found a cute font and typed out Ev's name and then traced it on to my piece of tracing paper. I then iced the cake and made a few icing tubes out of more tracing paper. I mixed up my colors and I was ready to work. I am pretty happy with the results. Here are some pictures of my cake (now I don't want us to eat it!) and some of the fun decorations we have.

2 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

Seriously - how in the world did you make that care bear look so good on that cake! You can do anything! It looks better than anything I've ever seen at HEB! You Rock! You are such a creative, amazing mom!


totally impressed - again!
Cindy

Julie said...

i'm impressed!