Monday, March 16, 2009

Language Learning

Last Monday was my first day back in the classroom after almost 3 semesters off. It is hard to get back into the routine after that much time but I think it is taking Ev longer to get adjusted than me. I go to class everyday at the same time (10:30-12:10) but I have to leave the house at 10am and I usually get home a little before 1pm. I am still able to get the kids up and going. Ev likes me to fix her bowl of cereal and when she is at the table eating I sit at the table and either do my homework or review my lesson. Then Elijah gets up and I feed him and we start the day. I haven't had as much time to get a craft for Ev going. We have been able to play with play doh or color. I think she has realized that she has gotten the shaft and she has been showing us she doesn't like it. When I come home from class about 30 minutes later I put Ev down for her nap. I read her some books and we sing and usually she will just let me walk out the door. Not this past week though. She has refused to go to sleep and she keeps asking for me to read books to her so I won't leave her room. She has gotten out of bed several times during her nap time and has had many of her things taken away from her because of her actions. Needless to say it was a long week and last night Ev woke up at 1am crying so I went in and tried to get her to go back to sleep. Instead I was in her room until 5:30am. I laid on her bed and went in and out of sleep while she tossed and turned. My guess is that since she isn't napping during the day she also isn't getting good sleep at night.

On a good note, I really like my teacher. I've realized that she ACTUALLY teaches me, sadly my prior teachers didn't. So I feel good about class and it pushes me and I have homework every night so I am trying to figure out little pockets of time to do things in. Ev doesn't like me doing homework she will come up and shut my book. I don't blame her my class takes me away from 3 hours of time with her and Elijah. Thankfully Elijah isn't bothered by me leaving for class. He goes down for his nap at 10 and gets up around noon to eat so all I miss is feeding him lunch.

Class is different not just because my teacher is a good teacher but I have classmates. I haven't studied with anyone else before. It is good but it also has it challenges. So far there are 3 of us in the class and 2 more will join us on Thursday. The 3 of us right now are from different countries with different exposure to the language. When the other 2 join us they will be at different levels too. My teacher is from the people we are focusing on, which is funny because the language she is teaching isn't her first language. Oh the joy of learning language. :)

No comments: