Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Five Years

In a couple of weeks Todd and I will be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. I started thinking back to the days leading up to our wedding and what our lives were like five years ago. A lot has changed since then. Since getting married we have lived in 3 states, and now live in another country, we don't get paid to be teachers, we have 2 children, Todd's hair has gone through several lengths and colors, and so on. Even though many things have changed others haven't.
Some items we still have with us (although many things are in storage) and I thought it would be fun to list the wedding gifts that have made my life A LOT easier here.

1. Joy of Cooking cookbook. I really love the detailed instructions, suggestions, pictures, and especially the high altitude tips for cooking. This has been a lifesaver for me as I have been learning how to cook in high altitude and make things from scratch. I never used it before we moved here but I am so glad I brought it.

2. Rubbermaid Stainless set of Tupperware. I used these in the States and have LOVED having them here. I love that they are a very durable thick plastic. I love that they are clear and I can see what I am storing in the fridge and I LOVE that they don't stain.

3. Kitchen Scissors. They came with my rotating knife block, kitchen utensil, measuring cup organizer. Oh it was AWESOME... but unfortunately only the measuring cups and scissors made the trip overseas.

4. Silicon Spatulas. I started watching Rachel Ray's show when Ev was a newborn and I loved how she used her spatulas as spoons. I love that they scrap the bowls when I am mixing (saving me time and an extra utensil) and I love that I can use the silicon when I am stirring food cooking on the stove. I used one so much I broke the handle in half.

5. Hand mixer. You cannot buy one over here and it is a must to make sour cream, whipped cream, pudding, cheese cake and cakes from scratch. I used mine so much (again never used it before living here) that I fried it. Well maybe that was due to having to use an adapter with it and I think I forgot to the last time. Thankfully I was able to buy a replacement in America when we were home. There is nothing like trying to whip cream by hand. I tried it and after 30 minutes I gave up.

6. Biscuit Cutter. I never used this before moving here. I never made my own biscuits from scratch before. Someone gave us a little tin and 2 different cutters and I brought them hoping to use them. Todd loves breads so I have used them often and am glad I have them.

7. Shower curtain. This may seem odd but I just love our red shower curtain. It matched our bedding that we got for our wedding but sadly we didn't bring it here. I've kept the red, khaki and brown theme still so it still matches. You can't buy shower curtains or liners here.

8. Small silver candle holder. It is one of those things that remind me of home. Can't get it here either.

9. Brown Beaded Picture frame. Like number 8, just reminds me of home.

10. I can't think of a number 10.

As I am into making lists, stay tuned for a top five favorite wedding pictures post. Okay so I just finished reading the REAL SIMPLE magazine from January 2008 where they list the top things for the year. I guess it inspired me. :)


No comments: