Sunday, November 14, 2010

First ER Visit

Back when Todd was in America the kids and I had our first and hopefully only encounter with the local ER. I bundled the kids up and we went to see a foreign doctor who works at one of the hospitals here. We got there about an hour before closing time so it was an experience. Elijah had had a cough for some time and it took a turn for the worst. Since I was by myself with the kids I decided to just go see a doctor rather than lose more sleep over a child who couldn't sleep due to his cough.

The doctor was great with Elijah and wanted him to get a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. So we went from one building to another and got to a counter where you have to sign in and was told we had to go to another building to pay for the x-ray first. But since it was minutes before closing the doctor asked if we could get the x-ray and then go pay. The lady decided to let us go ahead and not pay at all so we could go and get the x-ray done. Elijah was awesome he stood with his arms hugging the equipment so they could take the x-ray. He was so cute. After consulting with the x-ray technicians the doctor confirmed that Elijah had Bronchiolitis. We started antibiotics that night and we all got a good night sleep with I was very thankful for!

Overall our trip to the ER was a little under 2 hours. I paid a registration fee of $1.50. That got me into the ER, the doctor's exam and doctor's advise plus a free chest x-ray. Who can beat $1.50 for all of that! If you are shocked by the price just remember that our hospital is like a dark old dungeon and is not the place you want to be when you are feeling bad. I think when I went there for my prenatal appointments I spent about $1 to see the OBGYN and midwife. I guess you get what you pay for.

1 comment:

Cindy Foote said...

hope little man is feeling better! Any news on adoption paperwork and when you'll travel home?