Thursday, January 8, 2009

Arrival home

I am the only one up at our house right now. I should be the one sleeping! We left Kansas City at 6am to fly to Denver. We had a short layover in Denver and then were off to San Fransisco. Then from San Fransisco we fly to BJ and then we couldn't get a flight all the way home so we spent the night in BJ. Then we fly today and got home this afternoon. We left the States on January 6th and arrived here on January 8th. Meaning we lost a whole day. That's got to do something to your body right? After 2 weeks of adjusting to America and losing much sleep over that we came back to do it all over again. That is why I am up. We put the kids down for their nap at the normal time 1:30pm and I woke up at 10:30pm because I had been sleeping with my contacts and had to take them out. It is now 11:30pm and all is quiet.

On our first flight to Denver Ev cried and threw a fit so when we arrived in Denver we bought some Benadryl. Our flight from Denver to San Fran was about the same with Ev. She refused to sit in her seat with the seat belt on, cried and wasn't wanting to be on a plane. We arrived late into San Fran and had to quickly get to the international terminal to get to our flight. We were the last ones to board the plane. We barely made it! During our 12 hour plane ride Ev did better since our section had 55 foreigners 50 of which were high school students. So with all the people the kids were entertained and our kids noises and crying were drowned out by the high schoolers talking. By our 5th or 6th hour into the flight we decided to put the kids down to sleep. Elijah went as normal. Two of our seats were the first row of the section where there is more leg room. Todd's seats was on the left section on the aisle. So we put blankets and pillows down on the floor and laid Elijah down. Then we went to put Ev down and she screamed, cried and threw a fit. We then gave her Benadryl and about an hour later she was out. So once she was asleep I put her on the floor too. Todd went to find a better place to sleep and then I got a little sleep off and on. When we arrived in BJ we had to spend the night so I was so tired from taking care of both of the kids most of our 12 hour flight that I fell asleep at 5:30 or so. Then the rest of us went to sleep at 6pm. At 1am Elijah woke up so I put him back to sleep and then Ev woke up at 2am and was up until we left at 6am to go back to the airport. Elijah woke up too after hearing Ev. The kids were on America time... oh I had wished for that the first week we were in America. We got on our flight to come home after some misunderstandings in the airport and running around we finally got on our plane to come home. Ev had fallen asleep in the stroller for the hour we were running back and forth between the International and Domestic terminals and woke up in time for us to board our plane. We arrived home around noon so we ate and the kids played with their toys and were so excited to be back home. I took Elijah into his room and when he saw his crib he flapped his arms up and down and bounced in my arms. We had opened all our Christmas presents early and put them away to pack and leave so the kids didn't get to enjoy their new toys. Little do they know that we will only be home for 1 week before we board another few planes to go to Thailand for a month. During the month of being gone we will be staying in 5 cities in Thailand and 1 in another city back here. Needless to say we will be back to all sleeping in the same room and in different places. I am afraid when they see we are getting on another plane they will start to hate traveling.
We have not heard a sound out of both kids since putting down for naps 9 hours ago. As I am up now the kids and Todd are still sleeping. My worry is that they will wake up at 2am and be up since they have slept so long so far. Oh well we did this in America, why not here!

We really did enjoy our time in America visiting our families. I know they enjoyed having us there. I am just thankful we don't have to take that long flight for another 1 1/2 years. Traveling with 2 small kids is not an easy task. Hopefully when we go back to America in 2011 the kids will be able to handle the flights better. I'll post some picture once I find the camera!

2 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

so happy you made it back safely. get some rest, friend. you all need it!

ArmyforChrist said...

For some reason, this post was exactly what I needed to hear. I have been nervous about my kids breaking down in public, and it actually happened today at McD's. John just threw a temper tantrum (or three) in the middle of the play area, and I felt all eyes on me, and I couldn't think straight. I'm glad you were able to be oblivious to those around you, and take care of your kids, (and still love them!!!!) to the best of your ability. Thanks for sharing!