Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Play Room/Homeschool Room










Today you get to see our play room/ home school room.  All of the pictures but the last one were taken at night it seems like I forget to take pictures when it is light out.  When you walk into this room you immediately see a large window door with enclosed balcony where the kids love to play in.  Now that it is getting colder they will be using it less as it isn't heated.  The disappointing thing about our apartment is that this room is the coldest than any other in the house.  Originally this room was the kids sleeping room but it was just too cold (on average at least 10 degrees colder!) we got our landlord to enclose the balcony hoping it would seal the room better but it only keeps the condensation on the wall of window/door from damaging the floor. 

You may be wondering, why would the room be cold, why not just turn on the heat.  Good question!  Our heat is controlled by our apartment complex and apartments in our area of the country all have their heat turned on at the same time - October 15th and then it is turned off May 15th.  No matter how cold it is before October 15th they won't turn it on until then.  Our first winter here it snowed the first day of October, you can imagine how cold it was or can be which isn't easy to not have heat.  Even though it is cold we don't have heat until that day every year and last year we didn't have heat until November.  In the meantime we have large space heaters in every room sucking up a lot of energy as we wait for our floor heating to come on. 

Ok back to the play room.  The majority of the kids toys are in the playroom.  They enjoy the small tables and chairs that they use often and I have most of their small toys stored in color coded fabric boxes- each kid has their own color. 

When we were in Tulsa I went to a Home school Consignment store and got some great deals.  One book I bought has craft ideas for each letter of the alphabet.  I included a few pictures of Ev's artwork, her handwriting and her artistic abilities have really taken off lately.  I love how she draws herself and how she writes her name.  :)

Small table and chairs- Ikea (part of it was bought 2nd hand)
Brown table and chair- local high chair that transitions into a table and chair
Rocking chair/ bookshelves- local
Easel- Ikea (bought 2nd hand)
Books, school supplies etc- all from America! (almost 2 pieces of luggage worth)
Play house- Thailand ToysRus
play kitchen- local
Colored Canvas Boxes- Target
READ sign- JoAnns

4 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! It looks fabulous! Welcome to the world of homeschooling. Miss you. Love you! - Cindy

Anonymous said...

I love how the kids have backpacks - as if they were going to travel to school on the bus. Good responsibility for them all! You really planned ahead while you were here!

-- Jacque :)

Kelli Diane Kanani said...

The only backpack that was bought in America is the Train one, the other older kids had them already from here. The Disney one was 9 dollars and the Mickey one was about 4 dollars. Beats American prices for sure! They use their backpacks all the time. Ev walked into "class" with her backpack on and I even put her juice cup in it and a snack. :) She hung it up and then sat down at her desk. I am too much of a old teacher-huh?

Sara said...

This is too cute! I love that you're blogging about homeschooling, I'm tempted to go that route with Hattie. I love your little school area. You are a great teacher and an awesome mommy!