Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!


I am closing out or Thanksgiving day by watching the Today show and then the Macy's Thanksgiving parade on our sling box. Hopefully I can make it through to 2am. :)

Things around here went well. I got up and started cleaning my bird. I named him Frank. I was a little grossed out to have to pull his head out and all the other fun things. It took me almost an hour to clean and then cut out and remove the backbone. It wasn't as easy as it looked in Martha's magazine. I guess I should have picked up on the phrase, "or if you want you can ask your butcher to butterfly the turkey for you..." I put some major muscle into it and was hoping it would work. I did have to cut off the legs and put them in the second oven separately but with removing the backbone and trying to lay the turkey out as flat as I could I made it just barely fit in my oven. Needless to say using a turkey bag and taking flattening it out, it wasn't hard to cook once it was in the oven. It smelled good and it looked and ended up tasting just fine. Yeah!


People started showing up a little before 12pm and everyone stayed until after 7pm. We had imported turkey, sweet potatoes, broccoli cheese casserole, rolls, jello salad, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, chocolate tort, dutch apple pie and decorated sugar cookies. The men loved watching football the whole time. The ladies enjoyed talking and the kids played. Elijah started running and throwing himself on the ground like he was getting tackled. It gave everyone a laugh as they realized he was copying what he was seeing on the TV. The Todd in him came out as he realized we saw him and then would grab the football and go down to the ground.


Elijah grazed all day. I had veggies dip, apples and candy corn to munch on pre meal time. When I came out of the kitchen I found him standing on a chair with his hand in the bowl of candy corn just shoveling them in. No one realized what he was doing. He ate almost the whole bowl.

This is our 3rd Thanksgiving here. I would say that this one felt the most like a Thanksgiving at home.

I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

KaiLeigh said...

Hobbs looks so much like a little boy! I have total respect for how you handled the Frank situation!