Friday, August 7, 2009

We are Alive... and finally MOVED!

Just a few mintues ago they guy came to hook up our Internet. We are so worn out, tired beyond words, and done with dealing with workers and the culture here.

It has been a incredibly long week. As I was paying our house helper yesterday we realized that she worked double the hours she usually does. The day we moved she worked 11 hours. She has been a great advocate for us. You wouldn't think you would need an advocate but when it came to dealing with the curtain rod guy, our landlords, the water heater guy etc. we were so done with the junk you have to put up with here and just needed her to help communicate what we want.

It took them from 9am to 7pm to move. We used a moving company where 2 guys did the job. They strap furniture on there back and carry it by themselves. This one guy carried our largest couch. How he did it I don't know. It was amazing. The same guy carried 10 very full and heavy boxes straped to his back up 2 flights of stairs into our home. We were amazed. A little scared but amazed. What a long hard day of work for them.

After moving in on Wednesday by Thursday we already had our handy fix it man come and do some repairs. The toliet is leaking, the washing machine hook up needed something, he had to change all of the outlets in the kitchen because I couldn't use any of my appliances, oven, microwave. I found out today (Saturday) after taking my first shower since we moved Wednesday that I need our fix it man to replace the outlet in the bathroom too. I can't blow dry my hair in the bathroom right now. We just got hot water so that is why we couldn't take showers. Oh and let me remind you that we are living in a brand new apartment and the apartment complex is probably the best in they whole provience.

When our curtain guy came almost a day and a half after we moved 3 of the curtain rods were the wrong size even though someone came on Monday to measure. It took him from 4pm to 7pm to install our curtain rods after someone brought him the right sized ones. And he still had to go and buy a saw to cut off the blinds for our kitchen because they were too big.

Yesterday after someone came to turn on our water they told us that we would not be able to use our washing machine anywhere in the apartment. We quickly had this guy call our landlord to talk to him and he asked us why can't we just go somewhere else to do laundry. Seriously, they actually asked us that question. After several hours of dealing with lots of people we finally got it worked out.

Before we moved in our helper, Todd and I cleaned the apartment until 5pm on Tuesday. Every worker who comes to do a job leaves everything and just walks out. That means, the tile guy, the plaster people, the painter, the floor guy, the door guy leave a HUGE mess to clean up. Our painter used an airspray to do the job. He did the whole house in a day but he left paint everywhere. Our entire kitchen floor was painted, along with most of our countertops, our phone, a random piece of furniture, all of the light fixtures and so on were covered. Meaning we cleaned it up.

But now I almost have everything unpacked so we are almost done with moving. We are ready for a vacation. Wish we could leave the country but instead we are going to a city to see Todd's sister and enjoy a lot of Western food in a couple of weeks. Until then we are going to try to stay around home and not deal with the people here. Todd and I have both had our days where we were just undone by everything. If we don't let ourselves rest and give ourselves some time then we could really grow to hate the culture around us. Don't know if you understand that but it is a real thing.

I hopefully will post pictures soon. We need to charge up the camera but I haven't found the charger yet. Whenever I do I will take pictures and post them.

3 comments:

Cindy Foote said...

Girl, I hear and understand EVERY word! Whew! You have to be so exhausted. Praying for your rest and peace in the next weeks. Love you! -Cindy

Shanalea Atchison said...

Kelli, so much to try to do in a short time. I will be praying that God will renew your strength to deal with the culture in which you live and to finish the moving stage quickly.

KaiLeigh said...

Yah for VACATION! I can't wait to see you all!! We can go to Peter's as many times as you want! I should get mom to give me money just for that...