Sunday, April 3, 2016


I never expected to take this long of a break.  At one point I was locked out of this blog but for some reason today I was able to get on it again.  In the last week during a prayer time I was reminded of blogging and so here I am again.  

I looked at the date of my last post, almost two year ago.  A lot has happened in these two years. Last year was probably the most difficult one we've experienced and while it isn't as difficult as it was there are still many of the same challenges we are facing, but in some ways it is a tiny bit easier. 


One thing that hasn't stopped is the constant hellos and goodbyes.  I guess I wasn't prepared for this when we left our home country over 8 years ago.  I don't think you can prepare yourself until you've experience it.  The mother in me wants to shield my children from the heart ache that is caused from loving people and seeing them come and go.  But I have realized I just can't do that.  I can help them grieve but I can't prevent the loss of friendships they have and will continue to experience.  As they are 9,7 and 6 years old, I don't want their hearts to be hardened from this pain.  They've said goodbye to more people than I had at their age.  Most people won't ever say goodbye this many times in their lives. 
The longer we live overseas the further we feel out of touch with our home culture, yet the longer we in live in the culture we are we still do not fit in.  Almost every time we walk out our door we are called "the foreigners".  Even if we speak the language we still have white faces. It isn't easy being in a place where we don't fit in in either culture.  But I am reminded that this world is not our home.  I am also reminded that one day there will be no more pain, no more sorrow and it makes me long for that day.
I meet with a few moms weekly to pray over our families and one thing we prayed for this week was that the Father would give our kids more good friendships with their peers and other adults, we refer to them as "uncles" and "aunts" who can speak into the lives.  And even in the difficulties that come with being third culture kids, we want them to see Jesus and see what He has done for us and the people we are living among.  We want them to hold on tightly to Him and never walk away from Him.  So in the pain of losing yet another best friend, we can see Him faithful in bringing another one.  Or we can see Him be gentle when we wait for another friend.  They can see the difficulties that come with living in another culture and yet see how the Father wants these people to know Him.  When one kid is constantly criticized for having long hair or when I am always asked why one kid doesn't look like the rest of the family, they can know Jesus as accepting and loving and the source of their identity.  They are not defined by what they can do or look like but what God says about them. 




1 comment:

Kara M said...

Oh man! Tariku and I were blessed last night to spend some time with adult TCKs & adoptee. We talked about a few of these things. We have known this family for about a year and have just been so blessed to learn from their experiences!