Saturday, January 7, 2012

What Was I Thinking?

Not long ago I got the bright idea of organizing a whole year's worth of kindergarten curriculum so that I would get the bulk of my planning done at one time.  That was several days ago and I am still in the process.  I didn't think through my idea too well.  See, I am not only organizing but I am creating my own curriculum.  I thought it wouldn't be hard since I taught 1st grade for 6 years but since I am deciding what I want to do for everything I have gotten in a little over my head! 
I bought a Phonics curriculum from an consignment Home school store which by the way is amazing but after this year of doing Pre K with Ev I realized that we have already covered a lot of the curriculum - oops.  So with using some of my teacher resource books, things I did when I taught first grade I am creating my own phonics program.  I have gotten a lot of worksheets and resources off of the Internet.  Where were these things when I was teaching?  I am very thankful for all the teachers out there who have put their hard work out on the web for people like me to use.  So when I began my planning I thought oh I can plan for all 36 weeks, all subjects and it wouldn't be a problem.  So far I know what I am going to do for Science, Bible and Math.  I even know what I will do for every day for each 4 section of 9 weeks.  Crazy, huh?  I am still working on my phonics, reading,writing program.  And I need to figure out what we will do for Art.  I know as a homeschooling parent I don't need to do every subject but I just can't wrap my mind around that.  What I have decided is that every Tuesday and Thursday we will do Science, every Monday and Wednesday we will do Math and Fridays will be Art days along with Reading, Phonics, Poetry, Calendar stuff, etc. every day. 
I even have and have been finding assessment for everything and trying to coordinate everything too.  I guess that is why people just buy ready made curriculum.  My hopes is that I can finish this detailed planning so when next year comes I won't have to do as much prep.  I am going to be switching languages I am studying this Spring semester so I am going to try to go hard on this new (and very difficult) language and carry it over into next year when I am officially homeschooling Evangelia in Kinder.  How will I function next year as wife, mom, language student, friend, teacher - we will see. 

I have to admit as I have been spending multiple hours on the details for next year I have that happy excited feeling in my stomach.  I have been away from teaching in the classroom for almost 5 years now I have missed it and am excited about teaching Ev!

 This is just some of the things I am working on/using!
 I just had to show you cute little Ev's picture she drew.  The fun thing about teaching her is that she LOVES to learn and she loves to draw and be creative.  She told me today her favorite part is making the craft.  I better get working on my Art curriculum!
And yes all of the girls she drew have eye lashes, purses and after this picture she drew princess crowns on their heads.  Adorable. :)

No comments: