Tuesday, April 23, 2013
Workboxes and Homeschool
So in my last post I mentioned that I am going to be using the Work box system. I love this idea and have researched how other homeschooling moms have made it work for them. I chose to use magazine files since we are limited in space and 6 files fit perfectly on my bookshelves. I am teaching our first three subject to everyone and then they will move onto their work boxes for the other subjects. So I will only use 6 work boxes instead of 12 like the original system. But I am just doing what works for us right now with the space we have.
Here are what my files look like. On one side each box is numbered and a small picture of what subject is in each box is underneath. I used Velcro for these so I can switch them later if I need to. Then on the back of the file I have the word, "done!" so when they are done they can put the file back with done facing out and can visually see where they are in completely their work. At their desk they have schedule. I am using a clip for them to keep track of where they are in their work that they will move as the complete their work. I haven't made my "work with mom" part yet. I plan on making a clip with a sign saying work with mom on it and clipping it to the file boxes that they need my assistance with. The kids are ready to start the work box system but I am holding out until we officially start the school year in June.
Right now in our home school/playroom we have a lot of Ikea furniture. We bought this desk a few years ago and the legs are adjustable. They are on the lowest they can go and so as the kids grow and get bigger we can make the height of the table better for them. Right now Ev and Elijah work well at this table and Ian joins us too. As they get bigger I am considering buying another table just like this and putting them together to make a bigger table and workspace for them. I am currently using two tall Ikea bookshelves and one 2x4 Expedit bookshelf. We are also using Ikea folding chairs. I made some chair caddies to hold some of the kids personal items and give them a place to keep some of the items they use since we don't have drawers on their desk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment